Island Living

LDA ARCHITECTS AND INTERIORS

LDA ARCHITECTS AND INTERIORS

My life seems to be centred around kitchens at the moment. With our own home build about to start in August I really want to have all the main areas costed and budgeted for before we start. The kitchen obviously is a biggy! I know the style I'm going for, and I know my taste is far more extravagant than my husband's budget seems to allow for so I'm struggling to get the right balance of quality while trying to stop the costs spiralling out of control. Its a tough one but I will keep you posted as the build starts.

One of the main things we are keen to include in our kitchen is a lovely, large island. We seem to imagine that our lives will be so much better once we have space for our friends to congregate when they come over, where we can sip on wine together while I prepare the dinner and don't have to miss out on conversation. Island living creates a focal point to the room. 

So what are the benefits of a kitchen island, other than just being social? An island, if room allows for it in your kitchen provides extra work space area which is is never a bad thing, there can be seating incorporated into it, giving you a casual breakfast bar or a place for your kids to sit and do their homework while you prepare their dinner. Depending on the size and orientation of the kitchen the main sink could be placed here or if you want to be extravagant a second sink for drink or veg prepping stops two chefs from crashing into each other. Or why not pop the hob on the island with a big feature extractor fan. The options that can be incorporated within an island are endless so if you have room I would seriously consider it if I were you. As for mine, I'm keeping it purely social. There will be seating and there will be a wine fridge incorporated, seriously what more could I ask for?!

TOM HOWLEY KITCHEN

TOM HOWLEY KITCHEN